An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

National Volunteer Blood Donor Month

This is a slightly unusual post for this blog, but I wanted to talk for a little bit about giving blood.

I was in college the first time I was exposed to the idea of giving blood - for those of you who grew up in more urban areas, you probably find that a surprise, but it's true. Anyway, the first time I was exposed to this concept a friend went and donated blood. Unfortunately, later that night she passed out cold and busted her face up a bit.

Needless to say, that was not the best introduction to being a blood donor. For several years thereafter, I always had some lame excuse as to why I couldn't donate - I was too busy, too active, etc. No good excuses, but just something to ease my conscious. I'm not afraid of needles, but was terrified of the thought of being weakened for that day and worse case, potentially passing out.

About a year ago, I decided it was time to "face my fear" and get over it. I was nervous, but I did it, and with absolutely no ill effects. I felt completely fine. Recently, I donated again and I was once again reminded what a simple, but so helpful thing this is that we can do.

To be honest, I give blood for totally selfish reasons. I feel good about it. I feel like I gave back to my community, and I get those "warm fuzzies" for doing it. People there are also always so nice - both the staff and the community of people who come to donate blood. You are guaranteed to get a least one joke about being there for the snacks.

January just happens to be National Volunteer Blood Donor Month, and you have a great opportunity to give here in Arlington. There will be a community blood drive at Central Library on Saturday, January 27, from 10 AM to 3 PM. You can call 866-256-6372 to make an appointment.

So if you're not giving blood, here's a great chance. I can almost guarantee you, you'll be glad you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home