An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Air Force Memorial - up close and personal

Last post about the Air Force Memorial, for a while, I promise.

I finally got off 395 and got up close and personal to the Memorial, and I have to say it was pretty cool.

First issue - how to get there. I know it looks a bit unwelcoming from 395 with those barracks (is that what they are?) right there and no signage from the 395. But it's actually quite easy. From 395 -- Merge onto Washington Blvd / VA-27 W via Exit 8A toward VA-244 / Columbia Pike. Turn slight right onto VA-244 / Columbia Pike. The Memorial will be visible on Columbia Pike on your left at One Air Force Memorial Drive, Arlington, VA, 22211. Once you get up to it, there are signs for parking - not an over abundance of parking, but, at least when I was there, it was plenty. The parking is directly across the street from the Memorial.

So, you may not think there is much else you can see that you can't see from the road, and while that technically may be true, it's pretty cool to get right up on it (and underneath it). There's some other stuff there as well - basic memorial stuff - a statue, some quotes, some information. But really the best thing is just getting that close - it makes you want to take all kinds of pictures (which I obligingly did)

So, actually going up to the Memorial gets a thumbs up from me. It's very easy and only takes a few minutes to get off 395 and head over there. I highly recommend it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking to a friend yesterday about the AFM and how I see it all the time but have no idea how to physically get to it. My bud was saying how cool it is to get there right under but could only get there by feel (like most METRO DC driving). Thanks for the specific instructs!

PS - Good luck on XY Arlington in 2007. Keep on fighting the good fight - you're not alone... ;-)

9:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home