An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

More Air Force Memorial




Ok, I know I'm probably overdosing on info about the Air Force Memorial, but I found this review at DCTraveler that I thought was pretty informative:


According to the Air Force Memorial
Foundation’s
website, the three spires are intended to “invoke flight and
the flying spirit” and “represent the three core Air Force values of - integrity
first, service before self, and excellence”.
The $30 million memorial also includes a Runway to Glory, a glass “Missing Man” Contemplation Wall, which honors airmen and women who died in service to their country, as well as a bronze Air Force Honor Guard statute.

The original planned location for the memorial was about 200 meters from the Marines (Iwo Jima) Memorial, but was changed to its current location after much controversy and protests from the Marines about its proximity to the Iwo Jima Memorial. Celebrated architect James Ingo Freed, also the designer of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum and the Ronald Reagan building in DC, designed the new memorial.


I promise, I'm going to go soon and check it out for my self - up close and personal -- and then more posts about the Air Force Memorial :-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home