An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Friday, January 19, 2007

Into the Woods

This post was going to be my review of the new production of Into the Woods at the new Signature Theatre. But I'm not going to do that. It has always been the goal of this blog to give honest opinions of the things I do in Arlington, and I just can't do that with this show - not that the show was bad; it wasn't - I really enjoyed it. I think it was a very good show. But because I simply can not be objective.

You see, a good friend of mine from high school is one of the main characters in this show. He's been in New York off and on Broadway and now he is down here for a few months doing this show and then a show at Ford's Theatre. And I just think that is really cool. A guy I played basketball with in high school is making a living doing professional theatre. It's just kind of fun to go see him. So, that's why I can't give an objective review.

Here are some things, I think I can objectively say:

  • The set is super cool. You really feel like you are in the woods, even as an audience member.
  • The new theatre space is fantastic - very modern, very nice
  • Tickets are expensive ($45-$63)- not necessarily unfairly expensive. You pay for high level professional theatre and you get high level professional theatre. Plus, you are much closer than you would be at say, National or Warner, for the same price.
  • Tickets are selling super fast.
  • Signature has it's very own blog -- and while it doesn't appear to be updated super often, I like the behind the scenes idea

Update: I may not feel like a can give a fair review, but I think DCIst does a nice review. And as for my buddy from high school, here's what they have to say:

And we cannot forget the two princes, one after Cinderella (James Moye, also
engaging as the feral, oversexed wolf), the other pursuing Rapunzel (Sean
MacLaughlin); together, they steal the show with their dramatic tale of
one-upmanship

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home