An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm Feeling the Heritage


Last weekend, I braved the cold yucky weather to spend much of the day at the annual Feel the Heritage Festival, a celebration of African-American history and culture.


If you believe in past lives, I think I might make a good case study. Not to give any validity to stereotypes, but I fit a lot of "white" stereotypes - I have no rhythm, I can't dance .. OK, I can jump, I guess that doesn't match. Anyway, for whatever reason I've also had this fascination with African and African-American history. I took all these classes in college in both African and African-American history, my master's thesis on a related subject, and I listen to 2Pac. But I digress, ...


So the festival is this kind of cool, low-key festival. There's a combination of local school group acts and bigger, but relatively local groups.


My favorite act was Nu Era, a group of 5 teenage brothers who sound like the next Jackson 5. The boys could sing and they danced like N Sync or some other boy band. The African Heritage Dancers were pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen more dancing, less talking.


There were also vendors, food , and arts and crafts, but for me the entertainment was definitely the highlight.


All in all it's a pretty good way to spend a Saturday afternoon on a cold February day. I look forward to checking it out again next year.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home