An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Friday, October 13, 2006

Thunderbirds and Air Force Memorial Dedication


I'm kind of bummed about this weekend. I am going out of town for a wedding - and one of those family, obligatory don't really want to go to weddings. So, I'm missing out on a lot of fun things going on this weekend - the Air Force Memorial Dedication, featuring the Thunderbirds, and then the Paul Winter concert Saturday night.

Yesterday, however, I did get a little lucky. I went outside for lunch and the Thunderbirds could be seen (and heard!) flying around practicing. It reminded me of when I was a little kid and saw the Blue Angels (the Navy equivalent) at an air show. I was impressed and in awe. I bought a poster (well, my parents bought me a poster) and that poster stayed on my wall for years. Seeing the Thunderbirds yesterday, I was reminded of that feeling. And I still think it's just as cool. And as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm not someone who is easily excited by big machinery or military things. But there is just something very beautiful and awe inspiring about seeing a flight demonstration team.

So, if you are around this weekend, I highly recommend you check out the Thunderbirds. Even if you're not at the ceremony, there are some great viewing spots in Arlington - including Gravely Point and the Mt. Vernon Trail. The first flyover for the Thunderbirds is scheduled for 2:45.

And if you're looking for some more information and some opinons on the memorial, check out DCist's article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home