An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Wine Wanderings

I'm not really a big "winery tour and tasting" person. I don't know, it just never seemed that exciting to me. But this past weekend, I went on a trip with staff from Long Branch Nature Center, and I now have a new appreciation for how nice and enjoyable a setting a vineyard can be.

This trip went out to Farfelu, which advertises itself as Virginia's first winery. Once out there, I was pleasantly surprised at how much there was to enjoy that did not include wine (having offered to drive, I did not partake of the tastings). First, there was this really pretty hike, by the river - short and simple, but very nice.

Second, they had bocce ball and horseshoes set up. Bocce ball is such a funny little game, and yet strangely addictive and lots of fun. Also, the setting was just really nice - just generally pretty and relaxing.

So, my "take home" points?
Well, I've got a couple:
1) Visits to vineyards are fun and relaxing - even if you don't partake of the wine.
2) Arlington's nature centers offer lots of cool programming - see previous posts on Films in the Forest, and hikes, for more examples. To stay in the loop, just sign-up for the What's Up Arlington! newsletter.

Hope to see you out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home