An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ultimate Frisbee in Arlington (and soccer)


I've been in to trying new sports lately. I've always been a good athlete, but I grew up in a very small town - basketball, baseball, and football were the only options. As I became more "wordly", I found out that there really were other sports.

And now in my adult years, I've really wanted to try new sports. There's always just been one problem - pride! I don't like to do anything I'm not good at. But recently, I've been able to suck up my pride and try some new things and I'm really glad I did.

This spring, I played on a soccer team. I felt lost and confused at times (OK, a lot of times), but it was a lot of fun and I'm now I'm really looking forward to the next season.

Now I'm playing on an ultimatee Frisbee team. When I lived in Arizona, a group in the neighborhood used to play pick-up every week, and I would do that. I thought this would be that easy. Boy was I in for a surprise! First of all, there is a lot of strategy (and jargon) which I had no idea existed. Second, most people guard the side you would normally throw a Frisbee from and so you have to learn to throw a "forehand". I'm not very good at that. But everyone is really nice and I'm having a good time.

The Washington Area Frisbee Club has this cool thing called a recreational league. You just sign-up and they point you on a team. It's very low stress and they have beginners and experienced players who are really nice and teach you how to play. They play all over the DC area, including right here in Arlington at Bluemont Park. I'm not sure when registration is for the next league, but I definitely recommend it.

And to repeat a recurring theme with these blogs - just get out there and do it. Try new things. You'll be glad you did (at least most of the time)

P.S. - Sorry, I don't have any "real" pictures. This one is from Google images, but you get the idea.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharkbait said...

I LOOOVE me some ultimate frisbee.

Like you, I used to play a few years ago in a pick up game once a week, on concrete (dangerous!) back home. And then I moved here.

shoot me an email and tell me about it, I'd love to hear! Where it is and how the people are!

findingsharkbait@gmail.com

8:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played in the WAFC about 8 yrs ago (til I blew out my Achilles Tendon). Really enjoyed it. Although there are definitely some disc nazis out there (very intense, competitive players) there are a lot more with the typical "frisbee" attitude - low key, here for good, clean fun.

Anyone know of pickup games in Arlington?

3:08 PM

 
Blogger Benjamin A. Hoover said...

Thanks for the D.C. Ultimate site link. I've been looking to get into some ultimate!

2:11 PM

 
Blogger Benjamin A. Hoover said...

Thanks for the D.C. ultimate link. I've been looking to play some organized ultimate!

2:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home