An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

ACTA Tennis Social

This weekend, I played in the ACTA (Arlington County Tennis Association) Annual Social. It was Saturday night - not generally my ideal time to play tennis - and mixed doubles - not exactly my favorite.

That being said, it was only $20 for 4 hours of indoor tennis, plus some food and drink. And I haven't played all winter and was itching to get back on the court plus I was curious to check out ACTA as I signed up for the singles ladder this year. So, all those things together and it seemed like a pretty good deal.

To sum up the actual event, I had really good time. ACTA (or at least the people there) had a nice representation of younger and older players, and a nice variety of skill levels. I had two very tough, very competitive matches that were a lot of fun, and two more relaxed matches (which were a nice break!). Plus, everyone was very nice and generally cool. I left feeling like I had had a really fun Saturday night, even if it wasn't a traditional Saturday night type of activity.

So, I'm going to play in their singles ladder this year. I 'm pretty excited about it. I've been playing way too much doubles in recent years and I don't really like playing doubles. There are definitely some really good players out there so I'm not worried about not being challenged. At the same time, if you consider yourself an only average player, there should be plenty of good matches for you too - I believe last year's ladder had around 100 people. If you are interested, ACTA also has doubles leagues. You can sign-up for all their stuff on their website. Oh, and they've got a tournament coming up at the end of April as well. I'm up for that too.

My confession - I'm sore! My abs and triceps are especially sore from serving - that always happens when I haven't played much. Tennis may seem like a wimpy sport to you, but it can definitely give you a work out.

So, if you are a tennis player, ACTA has my official seal of recommendation (not that I have an official seal of recommendation, but you get the point). Check them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home