An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Towers Park

A friend reprimanded me the other day for not blogging more. Of course, I was ready with a quick excuse - I've been busy with playing a lot of sports -- tennis, soccer, ultimate, and flag football - and haven't had much time to do as many "events" as I would like.

And then it occurred to me what a lame excuse that was. I spend a lot of time in Arlington parks, and Arlington has great parks. And if you're anything like I was about 18 months ago, you probably are not totally aware of how many and how great Arlington's parks are.

So, I don't think I'll go as far as to call this a series, but I pledge to write more about Arlington's parks as I spend time in them.

Since I was in Towers Park this weekend playing tennis, I'll start there.

Location: Towers Park is located at 801 S. Scott St - right off of Washington Blvd and Columbia Pike. It's not right of a Metro, so it gets a strike there, but otherwise it's in a convenient location - kind of between Pentagon City and Clarendon.

What's there? Towers is a very nice park. There are four lighted tennis courts - one of the nets is a little high and one is a little tattered, but I can live with that. There are also two designated areas with tennis backboards. I'm not a big fan of tennis backboards, but what I hate is when they are right on a court - but these are off to the side, I like that.

There is also a very nice, full-court, lighted basketball court. I'm not there enough to say what kind of games/crowds it gets but Saturday afternoon it was empty.

If you've got a dog, there is a really nice dog park. There are also picnic tables, grills, a gazebo, and a playground. Oh, and I almost forgot - there's a really nice sand volleyball court.

All in all it's a great park, not huge, but very nice. One of these days, as part of this "parks in Arlington" series/non-series that I"m doing, I'll write a piece about all the benefits of parks- lower stress levels, etc. But for now, I'll just say they are nice places to be. Hang out in park and you feel better, happier and more relaxed.

And if you're looking for a park, Towers is a nice place to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home