An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Films in the Forest


This past Saturday night, I attended the inaugural "Films in the Forest" event at Long Branch Nature Center in Arlington.

First, if you've never been to the nature center, I strongly recommend it as truly one of those "best keep secrets"in Arlington. You're driving along in the middle of good, urban Arlington, you turn off the road and think you're turning in to an apartment complex, go like 1/4 mile and all of a sudden you're in another world. It's absolutely beautiful - very wooded, with the stream going by. It's a great, great place!

And the amphitheatre is very cool too - just up the hill a bit and very enclosed in the trees. Great setting.

The movie for this week was Whale Rider - a personal favorite. I love this movie. No, really I love this movie! I'm not a big movie person at all. In fact, I would say I go to the theatre maybe 2ce a year, but this is a great movie. I think I've seen it 3 times now, and each time I pick up more and it gets better. So, if you haven't seen this movie, I highly highly recommend it (are you picking up on my enthusiasm?)

As for the Films in the Forest, series, I give it an A+. There is another one coming up - Being Caribou. More documentary than Whale Rider, but sounds like a really good move, especially if you're in to that type of thing (I am)

Friday, September 8, Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S. Carlin Springs Rd. If you can make it, I recommend it. I'll be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home