An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Thursday, October 19, 2006

I can't keep this secret anymore!

How's that for an attention grabbing title?! OK, so it doesn't really tell you anything useful, but sometimes that's part of the fun. And OK, so my secret isn't that dramatic, but I had a lot of fun writing that title.

So, my big secret ... the CD and DVD collections at Arlington libraries. OK, maybe I should have saved my big title for something more exciting, but seriously there is a lot of good stuff there. They have so much good and new stuff. I'm always so surprised when I go in and browse the collections (especially at Central Library) Maybe it's my background as a D.C. resident (trust me D.C. libraries are nothing to brag about), but Arlington libraries are so impressive. To give you an idea, here's some things I've recently checked out (FYI - When it comes to music and even more so movies, I'm not exactly the harbinger of cool - so if you're not impressed by my choices, I encourage you to check out the library selections yourself and shoot me back a comment)

Movies -- Kinsey, Osama, the Wal-Mart movie (I dont' remember the exact name), the Aviator

CDs - again, I am probably not the best example, but here's some things I've checked out recently, Talking Heads, Linkin Park, Igor Stravinsky, the Eagles, Ray Charles, Rascal Flats, Wicked

The other part of my secret - when I think of something I'd like to see or listen to, I go online to the library catalog - see if they've got it, then place it on hold for pick-up at my closest library (Shirlington in my case). I get an e-mail when it's there and then I walk over and pick it up and the front desk. Browsing is definitely fun (especially at Central), but I've found this to be a great and easy method of hearing lots of music.

Oh, and of course, they have lots of great and new books too. For example, two books I've recently checked out and read from the library - The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and Inspiration by Wayne Dyer (the guy that's always on PBS lately when they are fundraising)

So happy viewing, listening, reading. My secret is out. My life will never be the same :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about the Arlington Co Public Libraries. They are the best I've ever used. Who would think a library would stock CD's on bands such as the Brazilian Girls and Chumbawumba?!

12:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arlington Public Library rocks!

2:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the free marketing and publicity! Disclaimer: I work for the library, but am also a user. It's just like amazon.com. You reserve your books online and then someone mysteriously delivers them to the location (branch) of your choice. No charge.

3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home