An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Becoming Picasso in Eight Weeks or Less




I am to drawing/painting as the Nationals are to baseball -- really bad, but we try really hard.

I mean, I have hard time drawing a stick figure. The only think I can draw is a cube that I learned to draw in 6th grade art class.

Recently, though, I had the opportunity to get a preview look at the Learn to Draw and Paint class offered by Arlington Parks & Rec. And, while I'm a long way from an artist, I thought I would stretch my abilities and talents, and see if I could learn something new.

And I had such a good time! OK, I did threaten to quit and walk out in frustration one time, but besides that. The instructor - Jim - is very patient and complimentary (although sometimes I think he's got to be lying or seeing things, 'cuz mine looks nothing like the example).

And believe it or not - I did get better - actually in just two short classes, I think I got a lot better. You can see my work on this page.

So if you're looking to try something new, I really recommend trying this class. The eight week series starts April 19, and goes every Thursday from 7 - 9:30 PM (that seems like a long time, but it goes really fast). It's $139 for 8 weeks, which breaks down to less than $7/hour - try to get a lesson doing anything for that! I teach tennis, and I charge $50 an hour. You can register online- just click here - the online registration is a bit of a pain in the rear, but just be patient and work your way through it.

And now, I must return to my canvass :-)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Green Miles said...

The second one ... is that a pear? Or Groucho Marx glasses? I see the glasses, big fake nose, mustache, and even cigar ... and no, I'm not drunk.

1:50 PM

 
Blogger Eric said...

at first I was offended, but I see it too -- I think I should claim it's Groucho Marx - that seems more artistic

1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home