An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lifting the Weekend Fog: My Favorite Arlington Brunch Spots

I'm always amazed at the long lines for brunch at places like IHOP and Silver Diner on weekend mornings. There are plenty of lesser-known, locally-owned places that have unique dishes you can't get anywhere else.

In response to Eric's recent post, here are a few of my favorites ...

  • Clarendon Grill: The best omelets I've ever had, large but light and slightly crisp on the outside. When the home fries are fresh, they're killer. Some friends will argue that the Carolina Crab Hash is even better. There's never a wait for a table, and it's always fun to watch little kids dancing on the stage that just hours earlier a band was rocking out on ... er, on which a band was rocking out. One drawback -- they don't open until 10:30.
  • Bob & Edith's Diner: Arlington's best diner experience by far. Except for the picture of pro wrestler "The Big Show" circa 1996, the decor hasn't been updated since I was born. The best food? Maybe not. But it's authentic, cheap, and the French Toast is excellent.
  • Whitlow's on Wilson: Probably Arlington's most popular brunch spot among the 20s-30s crowd with a legendary buffet. My roommate urged me to include Whitlow's because, and I quote, "You can't beat the volume."

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of those "crab hash" fans - clarendon grill is delish

2:28 AM

 
Blogger Eric said...

Make that 3 votes for Clarendon Grill - I love those omlettes.

2:46 AM

 
Blogger Googla Monster said...

Where is a good place to get pancakes in Arlington?

11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the menu you all think contains brunch items???? I was looking for a REAL brunch. That means options. I was looking online for somewhere new to go. Extremely difficult. I feel like the five owners I read about did all the "reviews".

4:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home