An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'll Miss You, Giant Hole

Ever since I moved to Arlington, there's been a giant hole in Courthouse at the corner of Clarendon and N. Adams. It's the site of a project waiting to be built since ... are you ready for this? 1984.

But at long last, a structure is rising from the hole:


The Washington Business Journal has the details:
The Donohoe Cos. started construction Sept. 19 on a 140,000-square-foot, 176-room Marriott Residence Inn on Clarendon Boulevard near the Court House Metro station. The $40 million hotel will open in spring 2009, some 23 years after it was originally envisioned and one year later than the current developers were hoping for.

"It has maybe taken longer than it typically does," said Bob Donohoe, development director for The Donohoe Cos. "But we feel like we've got the best project we could have."
"Maybe taken longer than it typically does"? Talk about the understatement of the year.

Anyway, the project should be a big boost for a block that's been pretty unremarkable until the recent addition of King Street Blues.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Google Reader suggested this blog to me, I was excited about the idea of an Arlington blog. But I quickly realised that it should be renamed "What's Up Affluent North Arlington, Particularly Clarendon" This blog rarely features anything south of Arlington Blvd. Fun things happen south of Route 50, like last weekend's Taste of the Pike. You mentioned the upcoming diversity dialogs and I think your blog would benefit from highlighting some of Arlington's diversity. Arlington's willingness to celebrate it's diversity is what makes it such a great place to live.

1:50 PM

 
Blogger SharonTB said...

I accept part of the blame for this because I focus on Clarendon since I work in Clarendon and do not live in Arlington. As I just posted I am moving in a few weeks and will still not be in Arlington (unfortunately) but will be in Falls Church right on the border and will frequent all parts of Arlington more often. If you could suggest places to go south of Route 50 I would appreciate it since I am new to the area and always looking to try new things.
Did you go to the Taste of the Pike? How was it?
Also, I plan to attend the Diversity Dialogues tomorrow and will blog about that and what I find out.

Thanks for the feedback.

3:56 PM

 
Blogger TheGreenMiles said...

Kartasi, my last two posts before this referenced South Arlington. And are you saying we're solely responsible for making Clarendon the social and cultural center of Arlington? If so, I need to start taking revenge on my enemies, because I didn't realize I had such all-encompassing power.

Look, we do this in our spare time and we can't cover everything, so we tend to stick with what we know. But if there's ever anything going on people should know about that you don't see here, email any of us (I'm at my screen name @gmail.com) and we'll do our best to get it up!

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Tom said...

The hole in Courthouse has been there as long as I remember. I remember hearing about the current hotel prject back in 2002 or 2003 and seem to remember that Georgia Brown's was slated to be the anchor restaurant. That's probably not the case anymore.

The addition of Ray's The Steaks in the Navy League building will be nice change of pace for the Courthouse area.

5:08 PM

 
Blogger TheGreenMiles said...

Tom, I think that Washington Biz Journal article I linked to says Georgia Brown is still considering opening a location on this site, but is taking a wait-and-see approach for now. Can you imagine their Sunday brunch coming to Arlington??? My arteries are clogging just thinking about it ...

1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home