An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why I Don't Want You to Know About Shirlington Oktoberfest & Vintage Crystal

One of the things I most enjoy about this blog is that I get to tell you about cool things I've gotten to check out. The downside is that you might actually come and make the beer lines longer.

Arguably the coolest event I went to in all of 2006 was the Shirlington Oktoberfest. For just $20 you got unlimited refills of an 8-ounce tasting glass. I had my first taste of Shenandoah Brewing's Mountain Beast Ale and Old Rag Mountain Ale, now two of my favorites. And the food was both tasty and reasonably priced. What more could you ask for?

So I was very excited to see the announcement of this year's event:

Oktoberfest
October 6th (12pm - 7pm) The Village at Shirlington

Capitol City Brewing Co. presents the 8th annual Oktoberfest. The outdoor
festival will combine craft beers, a variety of foods, fun exhibits and lively
German entertainment. For more information, please call 301-998-8395.

Unfortunately the website has no information about this year's admission price. My advice -- get there early to beat the lines and make sure you can taste lots of beers before they start running out.

Thanks to reader James for alerting me to the next event:

Vintage Crystal
Sunday, September 30, 2007, 2:00-6:00PM
2121 Crystal Drive (between 20th & 23rd Street)
$10 - Includes wine sips, food tastes, music & commemorative wine glass
Rain or Shine!

If wine is your livelihood or just a hobby, Crystal City is the place to be on Sunday, September 30. Come spend a Sunday afternoon in Crystal City tasting some of the world's finest wines. Sample pleasurable eats from noteworthy restaurants and gourmet eateries. The afternoon will feature talented jazz artists from the Duke Ellington Jazz Festival.

All tickets are purchased at the event gate on event day
Designated drivers and kids are FREE

If you go, email us and let us know how it was!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Googla Monster said...

I have mixed feelings about the Oktoberfest. Someone should be providing shuttle service to a Metro. These people should not be driving.

10:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from a friend, verified by myself this morning. found your blog while searching for info...
"Due to changes requested by the Virginia ABC, the event will no longer provide unlimited beer sampling for a flat fee. New this year, all attendees will pay for 10 sample tickets. There will be no additional tickets available for sale. However, Cap City will be featuring 5 of their beers at $2/pint throughout the day at the restaurant."



I called Cap city last night to confirm this and the guy there said the same thing.



So I hate to be the downer but I was disappointed when I found this out. I went last year when it was unlimited and had a great time but $25 for 10 4oz samples (equals to about 3 beers) seems a little steep to me.

3:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home