An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Arlington Personal Property Tax Bills Arrive

My personal property tax (a.k.a. car tax) bill arrived in my mailbox this week. Fortunately since The Green Miles' sweet ride is assessed at less than $3,000, I only owe the decal fee of $24. This year's decal features a photo of the Air Force Memorial taken by Wakefield High School's Danielle Day.

A decade's worth of Virginia governors and legislators have tried to figure out how to get rid of the unpopular car tax, but since they don't want to institute new taxes either, it's hard to balance the budget without it. Hence, the current convoluted system of car tax "relief."

If you're new to Arlington, make sure you contact the Commissoner of Revenue to find out if you owe any tax and how to get the decal. You'll get ticketed if your car is registered in Arlington and you don't have a decal on your windshield.

Got questions? Check out the Arlington Commissioner of Revenue's website!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paying 5% for owning a car year in and year out is a bit steep. Hmmm...say its harder to balance the budget, eh? Well, why not look at what other states do, like New Hampshire? Remember your taxes next time you go to the polls and elect incumbants. If you vote the way you always have, then best not to expect a different outcome.

2:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - 5% is steep. For my economy sized car, it ends up being more than my monthly car payment! I didn't budget that much. Ugh.

6:44 PM

 
Blogger erin*carly said...

After a year of living in Alexandria with Jersey tags, I [finally] had to register my car in Virginia to park at my new house in Arlington. When I went to take care of the registrations, the DMV said nothing about registering with the County, too. I received my parking passes just fine [although it took a month and caused me and my roommates to get tickets in front of our house]. Maybe two weeks later, I get a letter in the mail from the County, telling me I needed to get this registration decal and pay them $42 [or something close]. Okay, fine. I sent them a check, and three weeks later, I get my decal . . . with another bill saying I owe them another $42. Apparently, this is to cover NEXT year's decal/tax/whatever fees. Talk about sucking a resident dry! I'm dreading tax time next year . . . who knows how much they'll demand from me on my poor car.

They need a "welcome to the neighborhood, now here's all the things you need to do so you don't feel like an idiot" packet.

1:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home