An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Kicking Off Turkey Day with the Turkey Trot

2008 Arlington Turkey TrotWhat was my time in the 2008 Arlington Turkey Trot 5K? I ran the whole thing.

When you're as lousy a runner as I am, that's the only measuring stick that counts. And with temperatures in the mid-30s at starting time and the race almost entirely up and down gentle hills in Lyon Park and Ashton Heights, the Turkey Trot seemed more like the Gobble Hobble. But I finished.

The most amazing thing? You've never seen a happier group of people who are simultaneously sweaty and freezing. A cheer went up at the start and a big crowd hung out long after the finish. People came out to cheer us all along the parade route, with a puppy escaping its owners at one point and weaving through the runners like Barry Sanders in the open field. There was even a house on Fillmore Street handing out cups of beer to the runners, good for a laugh in the race's last mile.

I was up at 6am to help get runners registered with a group from CRM. Combined with the 4,000 calories worth of food I'll be consuming and 9 hours of football, Vegas has set the line of when I pass out on my couch at 8pm. Bet the under.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Sounds like it was quite worth getting up early!

6:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats for finishing! I ran too and am actually quite curious about my time but can't find the results posted anywhere! Am I missing something?

2:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats for finishing! I ran too and am actually quite curious about my time but can't find the results posted anywhere! Am I missing something?

2:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home