An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bike Sharing - Would you do it?


DC and Arlington are set to open bike sharing programs this summer and fall - the first of their kind in the U.S.

I think it's kind of cool, and I for one will definitely use it. Sometimes grabbing a bike is so much more convenient (and fun!) than hoping on the Metro.

What do you think? Would you use a bike sharing service?

Not familiar with the concept? Check out this article in the Express.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I think the $30 per year fee is a big deterrent for me. I'd be much more likely to borrow a bike for a couple hours if it was $1-2 per use as an option. I'd also like a helmet and a lock, are those included? I think from the Express article the helmet's not.

I already keep a bike at work which I use for errands.

12:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These programs are much too small for proof of concept. Paris also shows there also issues with uneven distribution of bikes and parking slots. Many more Parisians ride the bikes to work in the morning but use other means to get home, so trucks must re-distribute bikes in residential areas at night.

See http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/dude-ou-est-mon-velo/

1:45 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

absolutely! I own a bike but I can definitely see occasions where I might want to borrow one to get from point to point in Arlington (ie when the Orange Line is too jammed at Rosslyn I could borrow one to get me home!

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One can say that the system works when the elegant women and the most conservative people will use the program.
I predict: only the youngster, the green and the eccentrics people will use these weird designed bikes.

I think the neat and classy design of the parisian VĂ©lib is one of the major arguments for its success in Europe.

6:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home