An exploration of things to do in Arlington

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Best Stops Not on Metro: Westover

It always bugs me that so many young professionals in Arlington are completely ignorant to what's outside the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor and Crystal City/Pentagon City. It's like anything not on the Orange and Blue Lines must be a post-apocalyptic wasteland patrolled by Mad Max.

But if I'd never ventured off Metrorail, I'd never have found Potomac Overlook Regional Park or Carlyle or Arlington Cinema 'n' Drafthouse. So I'm starting a new series today called Best Stops Not on Metro.

We'll start the series with the one neighborhood The Green Miles would pick to live in that's not on Metrorail. Yes, over Shirlington. Yes, over Columbia Pike.

It's Westover, in west Arlington centered on Washington Boulevard. Some of its key features:Westover may not have its own Metro station, but it's a 20 minute walk from East Falls Church on the Orange Line. In addition, the ART 52 or 53 bus lines run into Ballston.

CommuterPage.com has a great overview of the neighborhood as well as a slideshow, plus an interactive map.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Westover is great, but I would still give Shirlington priority - esp with the new library and lots of new restaurants - of course, there is no metro in Shirlington, but lots of buses running often so it makes it pretty easy

3:01 PM

 
Blogger The Green Miles said...

I didn't say Westover was superior to Shirlington, I just said I liked it better :)

And sounds like someone wants to write the "Best Stops Not on Metro: Shirlington"! We'll look out for it, Eric. Right? Eric?

10:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well put. I've lived in Westover for a year now and although I miss being closer to a metro stop I can't complain about the excellent vibe and sense of community found here as well as the quality of the local businesses (and the near absence of chain stores!).

I did live in Fairlington (just south of Shirlington) before moving here, and I also thought it was nice there. The only drawbacks of Shirlington for me are that it is further from my work and also seems to be a more artificial than Westover. Don't get me wrong I think the village has gotten lovely these days but most of the new shops are just chains. Other than those minor nitpicks it's definitely a cool place though!

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Googla Monster said...

Hi, I like this theme.

11:33 PM

 
Blogger Googla Monster said...

I forgot to say that there should be a webpage dedicated to all the places that are CONVIENTLY located on Metrobus routes. I know Shirlington because I live here, but I don't know the other places - such as Westover.

11:35 PM

 
Blogger Googla Monster said...

I would definitely disagree that Shirlington Village is composed of a lot of chains. Other than Johnny Rockets, none of the restaurants are really chains in the true sense of chains. Also, we have two unique un-chain retail stores in Le Village Marché and Viero.

12:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home